Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, July 21, 2016

· 1950s Strawberry Dress ·


Remember all my ideas for vintage strawberry fashions?  Well I can finally share the result!  When I saw Emily Hayes' Shabby Strawberry line of fabrics I knew they were just the ticket for a perfectly summery dress and my sister made the perfect model.

(and as a side note- how amazingly well does this dress coordinate with my blog??)


I compiled a Pinterest board of strawberry-themed fashions from the 1940s and 50s to get some inspiration, and in the end I decided to keep the dress fairly simple to allow the fabric to have center stage.



Cotton dresses are perfect for summer and the boatneck and sleeveless bodice are so quintessentially 1950s. :-)  The neck and armholes are both bound in narrow bias tape and finished by hand. A micro polka dot fabric worked as the perfect accent touch!


At first, I was a little wary of how blue the foliage was rather than being a true green, but now I think it's perfect!  So very retro, and in the best way! :-)  Added bonus- it looks right at home in our aqua/red kitchen!



I used a vintage pattern from the 1950s and followed the suggestion to add contrasting fabric in bands along the skirt.  The skirt is made according to the pattern- 3 whole widths of fabric!  It gives such a great shape and I love how tightly gathered it is. :-)


Thanks Penny Rose for such wonderful fabric!

· Photos by Kathryn! ·

12 comments:

  1. I can't decide which is more adorable; this dress, or your sister!! :) What a gorgeous dress! You did a beautiful job on it, and I love how you accented the fabric with polka dots. That's always a good idea. ;)

    Thanks for sharing, Lily! You have a lovely sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They coordinate uncannily well! I noticed it instantly and smiled when I saw that you mentioned as much, too.

    This is such an incredible pretty dress. I'm beyond in love with it.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness. Gracious. I need a strawberry dress. {And yes, it matches your blog perfectly! lol!} #allthehearteyes ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely dress.

    Sarah
    www.sewcharacteristicallyyou.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so cheery, I love it!

    Ocean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always coordinate outfits to your blog theme :) I love the strawberries, and the stripe detail on the skirt. Off to see the post now. . .
    The Artyologist

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Now I want one. :) The simple design really helps the fabric shine and I love the full skirt.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, this dress goes perfectly with your darling blog! I love everything about this dress! The photo is especially sweet with this lovely girl holding the bowl of strawberries :)

    The detail of adding contrasting fabric around the skirt is one of my favorite ways of embellishing skirts.

    Simply lovely!
    :)Hope

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this dress! What is the pattern if I may ask? I've been searching high and low for a good yoke waist dress like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Simplicity 1614 (c. 1950s) - best of luck on your project! :-)

      Delete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com